Dentures are a dental restoration made of acrylic and porcelain that can be used to replace multiple teeth or whole arches of missing teeth. When secured by dental implants, dentures allow for a more secure fit and longer-lasting results. Dr. Nechama Brand and Dr. Abraham Stein recommend implant-secured dentures over removable dentures because they offer more benefits.
Many patients struggle with traditional dentures because they slip and require messy adhesives. With implant dentures, patients can speak easily and eat the foods they love without restrictions. Patients also experience better bone retention with implant-secured dentures.
If you are interested in replacing your missing teeth and would like to discuss your treatment options or receive a second opinion, call our office at 312.481.6859 or Request an appointment online today.
Types of Dentures
There are several types of dentures:
- Conventional dentures: removable teeth that are fitted after all teeth have been extracted and the gum tissues have healed.
- Immediate dentures: Fabricated and inserted immediately after the teeth are extracted and the tissues underneath the denture heal.
- Upper denture: Made of acrylic, an upper denture covers the palate, the roof of the mouth.
- Lower denture: This type of denture is shaped like a horseshoe to leave room for the tongue.
Treatment with Dentures: choosing the best option.
Removable dentures only require dental impressions before they are ready. Despite this quick treatment time, removable dentures require daily cleaning and upkeep and can irritate the gums underneath over time. At Premier Dentistry, we recommend that patients choose implant-secured dentures when possible because they look and function like natural teeth.
If dental implants are being placed to secure your denture, we will schedule a surgery time where we will surgically place the implants. Dental implants require a three to six month healing period, during which the implants permanently fuse with your jaw bone. Following this period, we will take dental impressions of your teeth.
After the dentures are fabricated in a dental lab, your dentist will secure the denture to your implants. At your final appointment, we will make final adjustments to the denture and teach you how to properly care for your new teeth.
Why choose implant dentures?
Implant secured dentures offer important benefits that should be taken into consideration when replacing a full arch of teeth. Permanent and secure, implant dentures offer:
- A stable bite: no more shifting or slipping dentures. Dental implants will hold your new smile in place.
- Healthier gum tissue: the gums and soft tissues will adapt to the fit of your new implant denture and you will experience minimal to no irritation with a secure new smile.
- Confident speech: with your new teeth held securely in place, you can speak clearly and confidently.
- Ability to enjoy a varied diet: there are typically no dietary restrictions associated with implant dentures, allowing you to benefit from a variety of healthy foods without worrying about slippage or discomfort.